This posting has expired and is no longer available.
Browse Similar Jobs: Government Police/Fire/Emergency Personnel Security/Protection Services
Job Title:Detention Officer
Opening Date/Time:Mon. 01/28/13 12:00 AM Central Time
Closing Date/Time:Mon. 03/15/13 5:00 PM Central Time
Salary:$13.58 - $21.72 Hourly$2,353.00 - $3,765.00 Monthly$28,236.00 - $45,180.00 Annually
Job Type:Full Time
Location:Public Safety Building, 1525 Arkansas Lane, Grand Prairie, Texas
FLSA:Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.
The Detention Officer position is responsible for the care and control/security of the jail facility and its inmates. Essential Functions include performing all administrative, clerical and manual duties associated with the detention of prisoners. Applicants should be aware that detention officers routinely come into contact with resisting, uncooperative prisoners and there is a possibility of being physically assaulted. All detention officers must attend defensive tactics training which is physically demanding.
- Candidate must be able to visually and through the use of remote video surveillance equipment.
- Monitor prisoner status and behavior. Ability to escort prisoners from one area to another.
- Take physical action to prevent escapes and/or assaults and subdue combative/violent prisoners is required.
- Ability to properly process prisoners using established book-in/release procedures is necessary.
- The ability to read, comprehend and write in English is a must.
Candidate must be able to fingerprint, photograph, handcuff and physically search prisoners.
- Ability to accurately count money and inventory property is important.
- Candidate must be able to read, interpret and apply laws, regulations and departmental policies and procedures.
Skills / Requirements
High School Diploma/GED, plus one year experience working with the public is required. EMT/paramedic experience HIGHLY preferred but not required.
- Must have a valid Texas class C driver's license.
- Typing (25 wpm) and computer skills are required.
- Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is
obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Receives direction: The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
- No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
- Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
- Discussion Very Frequent: More than 51% of work time.
- Must be able to obtain state certification as a Detention
Officer and an Intoxilyzer Operator within the first year of employment.
- Detailed Criminal Background Processing, Psychological Examination, Polygraph Examination, Drug/Alcohol Testing, and Pre-employment Physical. Candidate must possess the ability to lift or exert forces up to 100 lbs and push/pull up to 50 lbs.
- A general capacity to perform tasks required of detention officers. Such tasks shall be capable of being performed with reasonable accommodation, if necessary, that does not impose a business hardship and without presenting a direct threat to the safety of the applicant or others.
- Ability to establish, complete, and maintain prisoner's paperwork arrest report, medical history, narrative report, etc. utilizing knowledge of the various laws and departmental policies and procedures is required.
- **Candidates who do not meet these requirements or qualifications should refrain from applying for this position**